PLEASE NOTE: ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED.
(The winner will be revealed at the keynote speech on the 16th March 2017) Please send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org or by filling in the form at the bottom of the page.
The lucky winner of this year’s Fiction Competition will receive the original Old Kingdom trilogy by internationally renowned author Garth Nix. In addition, the winner will receive a specially signed edition of his latest book in the Old Kingdom series, Goldenhand.
The runner up will also receive a signed copy of Goldenhand.
About Garth Nix:
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia. A full-time writer since 2001, he previously worked as a literary agent, marketing consultant, book editor, book publicist, book sales representative, bookseller, and as a part-time soldier in the Australian Army Reserve.
Garth’s books include the award-winning young adult fantasy novels Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen; the dystopian novel Shade’s Children; the space opera A Confusion of Princes; and a Regency romance with magic, Newt’s Emerald.
His fantasy novels for children include The Ragwitch; the six books of The Seventh Tower sequence; The Keys to the Kingdom series; and the Troubletwisters series and Spirit Animals: Blood Ties (co-written with Sean Williams).
More than five million copies of his books have been sold around the world, his books have appeared on the bestseller lists of The New York Times, Publishers Weekly and The Guardian and his work has been translated into 40 languages.
He lives in a Sydney beach suburb with his wife and two children
The Old Kingdom
Lirael is no longer a shy Second Assistant Librarian, she’s now the Abhorsen-in-Waiting, with a new hand, one of gilded steel and Charter Magic.
When she discovers Nicholas Sayre lying unconscious, she uses her powers to save him. But the attack has left Nicholas tainted with Free Magic, so together they embark on a dangerous journey to seek help at Lirael’s childhood home, the Clayr’s Glacier. Ferin, a young woman from the distant North, is travelling to meet them, bearing a warning from Liraelâ’s long-dead mother about the Witch With No Face. But who is the Witch, and what is she planning?
Lirael must save the Old Kingdom from this great danger and it must be forestalled not only in the living world but also in the cold, remorseless river of Death.
Rules, (please read carefully).
- All entrants must be residing in the United Kingdom.
- All entrants must be unpublished authors.
- Entries must be 500 words or less including the title, (you may go over by up to 50 words if absolutely necessary however it may count against you in a tie break situation).
- Submissions must be made by 12.00hrs on 15th March 2017.
- The winners will be announced at the festivals keynote.
- All entries must be original, (no fan fiction).
- All entries must be works of fiction, (no biographies, life writing or personal accounts).
- You agree that you retain the copyright to your work but that by submitting it you are agreeing to Middlesex University being able to use it for promotional purposes in perpetuity.
- Please provide your name. postal address, email address and two sentences about yourself.
- If the author is under 16 years of age then the parent or guardians address and email address should be used.
Good luck and enjoy yourself!